17 October 2010

Where sheep may safely graze ...

Saturday, 1 October, not only marked the first weekend in October, it was also la Désalpe 2010 (bringing the livestock, generally cattle, down from the mountain summer pastures) in the nearby commune of Saint-Cergue.  Photos of the always colorful event can be found here and one characteristic aspect is the clanging of the massive cowbells worn around the necks of the cows decorated especially for the occasion.

Close to my apartment, however, we have been treated to a much more pleasant daily tinkling for the past couple of weeks.  For the first time in my experience here, a tiny flock of sheep has been grazing in the meadow nearby, between the apartment complex and the nearby elementary school.  Seizing the moment, I popped over to meet my newest neighbors.


They appeared singularly unimpressed to see me, especially once they ascertained that I was not there to feed them.  They lifted their heads to check me out.  Those small and slender necks clearly would not support cowbells.


They then went immediately back to their activity of the moment - grazing.  For the moment, they are safe.


I can't help hoping that they will continue to be so - and that they are of interest only for their wool. 


It may be only a faint hope, however.   Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment