26 February 2011

Meditation on a rural churchyard

I had lived in my little haven here for three years, but it was HWMBO who discovered our local cemetery nearby during his visit last fall.  I must have passed by it countless times on my way into town.  But I usually use the lower path that follows the stream bordering the park of the local château.  I hadn't really noticed what there was on the road higher up close to the school.


It hadn't occurred to me that a cemetery would be located right next to an elementary school, also a soccer field and a boules pitch.  I had been fortunate in never having to wonder where it was.   But HWMBO was surprised that I hadn't noticed it before.  So we both had to go and wander through.  At the time, however, I hadn't brought my camera with me.  Today was the kind of gloomy day to put me into a melancholic mood, so I decided to revisit the cemetery, this time with my camera.

Judging by the fresh flowers that were placed at several of the gravesites, I was not the first to stop by this morning.


There were even several bouquets gracing the wall where urns have been placed for those who chose cremation rather than burial.

While the older gravestones were quite modest,

others reflected a modern style.

Some sites were decorated with symbols of Spring and Summer.

Others blended into sculpted foliage.


Throughout there was a feeling of peace as I wandered, reflecting on those who lay there, as well as those they had left behind.

On the way home, it was timely to see yet another reminder that our presence here on Earth is ephemeral

and whimsical - or so it can seem sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment