22 February 2011

Printer Daze

I first had the problems in February 2010.  I arose one morning to find that my formerly trustworthy little printer was flashing an incomprehensible error message.  As is my usual technique for dealing with such issues, I simply turned the printer off, rebooted the PC and then turned the printer back on.  Et voilà!  I was right back in business.

A few days later, it happened again as I was trying to print out my Swiss tax forms.  Swiss taxes are due by 15 March.  I tried my reboot technique but this time, the printer would not work at all.  So I segued into Plan B.  That consisted of turning off printer and computer and unplugging and replugging all connections to ensure that nothing had worked itself loose.  After switching both machines back on, no problem.  The Swiss tax forms and supporting documentation printed out like a charm.  I breathed a great sigh of relief.  The Swiss version of the IRS would not show up on my doorstep demanding immediate surrender of my visa as well as my deportation.  Of course, that left the IRS itself to satisfy.  But I could print those forms out during my visit to the US.  HWMBO's printer always works.  It wouldn't dare not to.

Then the error messages began happening again.  Neither Plan A nor Plan B did the trick.  So, it was time for Plan C: calling the guru himself.  HWMBO offered a couple of suggestions beyond what I had already tried.  Nothing worked.  So I did without.  I imposed on friends when I absolutely needed something scanned or printed.  Or, when I was working, I would take care of my few needs at the office.

My little printer sat quietly in my office for several months, apparently resting up during its disgrace to make me look like an idiot.  Because when HWMBO arrived last fall, the first thing that he did was to turn the blasted printer on.  And it worked!  Not only that, but it functioned perfectly during the two months that he was here.  It was working just fine when we left to spend the year-end holidays in the US.

Then I returned to Switzerland.  At first, everything seemed in working order.  But on my second day here, an error message from the printer greeted me once again.  When I tried my reboot technique (Plan A), a different error message showed up.  With Plan B, an entirely different error message appeared.  At last, I resorted to Plan C.  After many frustrating attempts to get the printer to respond under HWMBO's Skype tutelage, he suggested that perhaps I should just get a new printer.  This wasn't the first time that he had suggested this solution; it was simply the first time that I was receptive.

Now I really hate to get something new unless the old one is clearly broken and can't be fixed.  I firmly believed that the printer, which we had gotten in 2006, should have a few good years left.  So I decided to let it sit for a time.  Even then, the light wouldn't even turn on.  So I gave up and gave in.  Over the weekend, HWMBO and I discussed printers.

Yesterday, I set off for our local discount retailer, MediaMarkt, which had advertised an HP (Hewlett Packard) all-in-one printer for CHF 79.  It seemed that it would be perfect for my needs, and at a good price.  But evidently it was such a good deal that the model was no longer available.  I checked through everything that was on offer in approximately the same price range - from CHF 70-CHF 129.  These included three Canon and two Epson models.  I then stopped at the Fust store nearby to see what models and prices they had.   They had the HP model we had settled on, but at CHF 99.

Having waited this long, I decided to research all models on the web and to discuss the matter further with HWMBO.  He preferred that I go with the HP model because he has one, likes their problem-solving interface and could guide me through my problems more easily from 3,000 miles away, as he must.

Before leaving to purchase the HP model, I informed my printer that it was going to be replaced unless it shaped up.  Unimpressed, it still refused even to flicker.  But at Fust today, I discovered that, while my printer model was still available, its price had increased by CHF 20!   When I expressed dismay at this overnight increase, I was informed that Fust "always" changes its prices after the 21st of the month and that the increased price was still a sale price in comparison to the regular amount.  I decided - unhappily - that I had to do something to break this losing cycle, so I gulped and bought the printer after all.

Upon returning home, before opening and removing the new printer from its box, I gave my recalcitrant old printer one final chance.  Would you believe it - the blasted thing started right up!  I was so excited that I went ahead and executed a Wizard file to reconfigure it.  I hadn't been able to do this earlier because the computer and the printer were refusing to communicate at all.  Lo and behold, in spite of a couple error messages popping up, the reconfiguration seemed to work!  For the first time since December, the printer actually printed a test page.  After four tries, I was even able to scan a document successfully.  Before I could start to believe again, however, the error messages began again and the machine was unusable.

That printer is now stashed in the box the new printer used to occupy.  I'll keep it in my basement storage until HWMBO comes again.  I amazed myself by setting up and configuring the new printer successfully and without problems.  After what I had undergone with the old one, it was a snap.

And now I have a functioning printer!  At long - long - last!

No comments:

Post a Comment