27 September 2011

Relativity and Time

The scientific world has been rocked on its heels with the revelation that at nearby CERN, some neutrinos (and I never even realised that such things existed) that whizzed from Rome to Geneva seemingly at a speed faster than light have disproven Einstein's Theory of Relativity, one of the great constants upon which modern physics is based.  Of course, since my understanding of physics borders on nil, I have probably not explained that correctly at all.  In the meantime, the scientists at CERN are waiting - with bated breath, one presumes - to see whether their observations and conclusions can be independently verified.

What will this mean?  Probably not a whole lot to those of us who are in our twilight years - just another example of shifting sands, if proven correct.  Those of my generation and older have seen so many shifting sands that it is difficult to believe in any constant at all.  But this discovery apparently will have major consequences for those who may attempt future long-distance space odysseys, as well as disrupting umpteen theoretical presumptions.  I am perverse enough to hope that it will at least shake up the Scientologists - whose so-called "religion" is based on the science fantasies of L. Ron Hubbard and who have a cult-like grip on their adherents.  But zealots, particularly religious zealots, always find a way to explain away anything that doesn't fit into their notions of the universe.  So that is likely a forlorn hope at best.  Anyway, we'll all see what develops.

What I have discovered in my own situation is that, whatever the scientists at CERN may have discovered and whether their experiments may be validated or not, time does have consequences.  For example, my at first good-looking hourly pay seems to have dwindled substantially when I add in the amount of research and preparation time that I spend for my course.  If I calculate correctly, I am probably earning less than minimum wage!  Still, I have been learning a lot of new things and even some new skills.  If nothing else, I'll probably be able to teach a course in preparing Powerpoint presentations very soon.  It's been fun, although somewhat fatiguing.  So far, the class - somewhat disgruntled because not enough course textbooks were ordered - which has resulted in my having to shift emphases and concepts around, has been friendly enough.  Some actually seem interested, which is always a joy.  Unsurprisingly - based on my experience generally - it is principally my female students who appear the most serious to this point, but we'll see how things play out in the long run. 

Tomorrow is my first official faculty meeting.  Back to the future indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment