02 October 2011

Dreamscape

No, this topic is not about dreams that will make the world a better place - it's about the dream that I had last night.  I believe that it must have originated in some residual guilt.  Many in my family congregated in a Montana spa area (yes, MT does have spas!) this weekend, for a belated celebration in honor of my nephew, Big J (now officially Proud Dad J) and his spouse who is now also Sweet Momma T, and their delightful daughter, Princess Jelly Bean, who is two weeks younger than my own Prince Attani.  Had it not been for the abrupt change in my plans this summer, I would have been there too.  Guilt indeed.

So, it was not surprising that the dream had something to do with Proud Dad J and Sweet Momma T or that it was about trying to get to their celebration.  What was surprising was that in the dream, they were about to be married - something that happened last year!  What was even more surprising was that they were not going to be married anywhere near where they live or met or have any real ties, but more than 300 miles to the north.  Even then, they were not going to be married anywhere either had ever lived, or in a place from which either had special memories.  No, the wedding was set to take place in a small town on the Montana Hi-Line, 40 miles west of where my siblings and I had spent most of our growing years.  The wedding was to take place there for some reason.  But also, for some inexplicable reason, the rest of us were all staying in the town where we had grown up.  Keeping in mind that there are about two hotels there, both on a par with the Bates Motel, that situation doesn't sound too likely.  There is at least one excellent B & B there, but that would not have been able to hold all of us, although perhaps some of our local friends had opened their houses to us.  Still, logistical problems like this didn't feature as problematic so somehow they must have been resolved.  Another mysterious thing was that none of us were equipped with cellphones.  Not one.

We did, however, have access to the internet - wherever we were staying - and we also had a GPS.  The the wedding was supposed to take place at a location called "AWLS" and that was the name that we typed into Google and the GPS respectively so that we would sure where to go.  I am totally clueless as to where those initials came from or what they mean!

As happens in dreams, the cast of characters was confusing.  Sometimes my sisters were there; at other times, my sons; other times, it was a blend of sisters and sons.  HWMBO was a constant.  I remember that there was a huge flurry and confusion and we would all just get in the car to get on our way for the event, when something would happen and we would be right back at Square One again.  In the meantime, the clock was ticking and time was a'wasting.  I even remember that I was dressed in a long mint green sheath with lacy sleeves, a dress that I have never owned but which reminded me somewhat of the dress I wore for the wedding of Son J whom I share with HWMBO.  Miraculously, I had also shed at least 30 pounds.  That was clearly the best part of the dream!

We had just gotten into the car for the umpteenth time, with the back seat full of the ever-changing cast of characters and I still didn't have my make-up on!  So while the car was permeated with angst at being late (the time was then showing as 4:15 and the wedding was scheduled for 5:00 p.m.) and while I was desperately struggling to apply mascara while poor HWMBO who had been ready for hours tried to maintain his cool in the circumstances, I woke up.

What a great relief it was to find myself in my own bed, in my nightshirt, and with no mascara applicator in sight!  I was disappointed to find that my 30 pounds were back.  And I still can't figure out what "AWLS" signifies.

But I sincerely hope that everyone had a great time in Montana this weekend!  I was certainly there with you all in spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment