29 January 2012

Computers!!!!

Computers have become such an integral and ubiquitous part of modern daily life that it is very difficult to remember what life was like before we were able to "surf" the web to find answers about or opinions on even the most esoteric of issues, to communicate with - even to view live - far-away family and friends practically instantaneously through applications or features like "Chat" or "Skype," to send news updates or photographs to several people at once, etc., etc., etc. ....

There is a saying, non-attributed so far as I can find on the Web, that computers are great, except when they aren't.  While that can be true of many things that we consider to be "modern conveniences" or "gizmos," there is another saying, also non-attributed, that applies very much to computers:  "To err is human.  To really screw up requires a computer."

Obviously, when one puts error-prone humans such as myself, in proximity to or using a computer, the potential for massive screw-ups is nearly indescribable and practically infinite.  Early in the life of my laptop, for instance, I managed somehow either to unplug it or force a shut-down while it was in the middle of one of its interminable updates, causing the whole system to crash.  Until HWMBO, my guru in these matters, with near-sainthood status in his patience with those of us who are technologically challenged, was able to reload all software completely, the laptop was unusable.  Of course, even though HWMBO reloaded everything and I have never managed to repeat that particular - and major - no-no, some data, mail and photos were irretrievably lost.  I have since learned to back-up my work and, fingers crossed, will manage never to lose important items again.

But a couple days ago, I managed somehow to mess up my Google Chrome.  I have been using Chrome as my principal internet browser over Internet Explorer (somehow, I could never quite warm up to either Firefox or Bing) for much of the past six weeks.  What happened is that somehow - and I can't imagine what happened except that some errant fingers, unfortunately mine, must have done something untoward - my Google Chrome webpage was coming up askew.  I could only see the minimize feature and could not navigate sideways or vertically, so that Chrome was practically unusable.

One lesson that I have learned in this electronic age - and from HWMBO - is that if you have a computer-related problem, there is usually a solution for it somewhere on the Web.  There appears to be no computer-related problem that is unique.  If I have it, there are others who also do.

But finding such a solution presupposes that you describe the problem correctly or ask the right question(s).   Yesterday, I was not using the proper key words and no solution that fit my situation could be found, or at least I could not find one in my search results.  But this morning, when I was apparently thinking more clearly, I manage to phrase the problem as "Chrome web page off center," which proved to be the "Open Sesame" to solutions for this particular problem.

The problem is easily solved.  As described by Malacath,
Press ALT+SPACEWhen a drop down menu comes up select 'move' then move the window with the cursor keys.  
So now I'm back in business!  Thanks, Malacath, whoever and wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment