22 January 2010

Something in common

As expected, I crashed definitively this afternoon, from around 14:00 to 18:00, and feel better than I have in several days.  For some reason, this week has been a bad one for sleep.  I usually have no trouble heading off to the Land of Nod.  I'm still saving the gin because I don't believe that I'll need it tonight.

This morning, the carreleur arrived to perform some touch-up repairs on the silicon grouting between the floor tiles and the wall moldings where some small but unsightly holes had appeared in various places.  The apartment is still under warranty so I want to be sure to get as much of this work completed now as I can, although as the building continues its settling process, more small defects will likely appear.  The plasterer/painter will return to repair some small cracks in the wall, most along the wall-ceiling meeting points.  He came early in December to assess the damage, but his business has been on hiatus for most of January, which corresponded with my own period of absence.

After the carreleur left, I managed to accomplish the one goal that I had on my task list for today: getting stocked up on groceries.  Anticipating that I wouldn't want to do much cooking tonight (good thinking), I bought a couple of Anna's Best prepared Indian menu entrees.  Tonight I opened up the Butter Chicken to find two microwavable packets of saffron rice, instead of one packet of saffron rice and one of butter chicken sauce.  Don't you just hate it when that happens?  This was a first for me.

What to do?  The stores had closed by then and, anyway, I was in no mood to return to Migros.  I decided that my karmic destiny this evening was to eat vegetarian, although if I had been more energetic and ambitious, I could have thawed some frozen turkey chunks from Thanksgiving.  In the spirit of "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade," I decided that my Butter Chicken sans poulet would have to do.  So, I microwaved the rice, chopped up and added a tomato, part of a cucumber, part of an onion, and some mushrooms.  To that mixture I added some cumin.  Everything savory is better with cumin in it, in my opinion.  Together with one glass of water and another of white wine, it made a lovely supper.  And I even have some leftover rice for lunch tomorrow.

So, hey, you out there with the two packets of Butter Chicken sauce ... we have a connection! 

No comments:

Post a Comment