30 January 2010

Sunshine joys and progress

Today, I've been humming a little John Denver tune around the house that I haven't hummed in years.

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
Sunshine almost always makes me high ... .
 
This is the first day since my return to Switzerland over a week ago that we have actually had sunshine ... sunshine so hot that I had to use the terrace awning so that I could benefit from the light and still not turn the living room into a hammam.
 
Last night it snowed.  There was even some left on the ground this morning.  There are still a few patches left now as the evening begins creeping in.  It was nothing like our major dump in Maryland last month, at least not down here by the lake.  But the ski stations at high levels no doubt appreciate it.  Here was my lake view today.  Believe me ... the sun was there, even though there were still a lot of clouds in the sky.
 
 
I also got a shot of the middle playground area today before the little kids came out to play.  It's beginning to look a lot more user-friendly these days.
 

Here is what it looked like two years ago.


And here's what it looked like a couple months later.  The weeds have been mowed, which is an improvement, but that's it.  There's been a little progress in the adjoining construction.

Here's the same location one year ago.  The "play area" looks to be a lost cause.   A few piles were dug ... then left.  Still, the building is progressing.


And here it is again a couple months later.  Hmm.  It looks like we have the same piles, only now the weeds have grown over them.  PilotNephew (#1 Nephew) always did find the Swiss cloud cover impressive.


And here we see it from last fall.  Hallelujah, there's been some movement and the area is actually taking shape.


Here, a bit later in the fall, the grass is getting green.


Since then, benches have been installed.  You can see them in today's photo with the snow.  There are still a few plants and trees left according to the plan.  But it looks as if the play area will actually be fully operational for the kids by this spring.  Hurrah!

Now, all I need is someone to enjoy it with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment