20 January 2010

Word Power

Last night, I spoke to my granddaughter, "Princess Butterfly," after the made-up song that I used to sing to her when she was much younger to the tune of "Love Is Like a Butterfly," with all due apologies to Dolly Parton.  We also call her "Curly Sue" for obvious reasons.


We spoke on Skype using its video feature.  How on earth did absent grandmothers ever live without it?

Momma M reported that Princess Butterfly, just three this month (and in many ways going on 30), had astonished her after a recent trip to Victoria's Secret with the word "hypothesis," actually using it in a sentence to show that she understood the meaning.  Thus, "Momma, I have a hypothesis.  My hypothesis is that you went to the Mall to buy bras."  This is the same desert-born girl, who at two, while her mother negotiated the roads in the Rocky Mountains on the way from Helena to Great Falls, MT last Easter vacation, marveled as she exclaimed, "Look at all the pyramids."

Momma M also reported that Princess Butterfly had recently gotten into trouble for knowingly saying a "bad" word (un gros mot), the well-known four-letter expletive beginning with "sh,"  and had received a very tiny dollop of tabasco sauce on her tongue as a result.   Princess Butterfly then asserted that "Everyone" used "bad" words, including Papa (Big S, #2 Son, and unfortunately, true), but even Big Sis, also a princess, but on ice (in the desert!) and Big Bro.  When Momma M expressed disbelief at the thought of Big Sis and Big Bro using such language, Princess Butterfly asserted that Big Bro had indeed said "sh _ _."  When the dreaded tabasco sauce retribution was threatened, she said, "But Momma, I wasn't using it, I was just explaining it."  No tabasco.

She's already figured out that it's all in the spin.

2 comments:

  1. I had never heard the comment about the pyramids. I think you were too exhausted for weeks to tell me how the trip went, except that it was tiring. Otherwise, a good start.
    HWMBO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sagidreamer27/1/10 00:08

    Hi Ray ... belated response here to let you know that I am not able either 1) to change your photo or 2) to respond to you through Follower. While I understand the first is probably not within my power, I don't understand why I can't do the second, so I guess that I'll have to read the book. :)

    ReplyDelete