30 November 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ...

There was a light dusting of snowfall down by the lake here last Friday morning.  But the snowfall was so minimal that the flakes had already melted from the sidewalk.  The only way that I could tell it had snowed from looking out my front windows on Friday morning was to see snow remaining on the large trampoline that my downstairs neighbor has in her yard.  Otherwise, Friday was not too eventful.  By Saturday morning, however, the snow was falling in earnest.


Snow continued falling throughout the day so I took a few photos late in the morning: first, looking towards town,


then the hedges below,


then the playground.


My cut-back lavender looked naked in the snow,


but the bamboo welcomed the moisture.


I took these last two photos just as we were losing the sun altogether.


I can't believe how short the days have become.


Yesterday's Tribune de Genève reported that Saturday's snowfall had caused la pagaille (total mess) in Geneva.  According to police reports, the 15 cm (almost 6 in) snowfall was responsible for 73 traffic accidents in the city and four persons were injured.  Several roads were closed entirely and cars were left abandoned everywhere.  One good friend called to warn us not even to attempt to go out.  Her husband had and had been forced to abandon the car.  While trying to walk home, he slipped on the ice and injured his shoulder, which had already been giving him problems for some time.   Believe me, it never takes much encouragement to get me to "cocoon" - it's one of my favorite activities.

Most here, including me, haven't changed to snow tires yet.  I've been hoping to beat the odds altogether because I'll be leaving early in December for the US to spend a couple months there.  I've been holding out for not having to change tires at all.  With the exception of a few days each year, winters here, so long as one stays close to the lake, are not generally intemperate.  Of course, the winter of 2005 was an exceptional one and the spectacular ice displays near the lake made headlines around the world!  I lived much closer to the lake then.  My garden at the time fronted directly on the lake and remained iced over for a good six weeks!

Those who routinely head to the ski slopes change tires right away, but we haven't spent too much of the ski season here in recent years, in part thanks to the attractions of the littlest grandchildren in the US.  To be sure, the holiday season and winter are nearly here.  Thoughts of seeing family again soon help to keep us warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment