10 November 2010

Watching the weather

Yesterday HWMBO and I met some friends in Geneva for lunch at the cafeteria-restaurant of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).   It was a place I had never visited before.


The restaurant is located on the top floor of the building and is thus known as the "Attic Restaurant."  It is open to the public from 12:30-14:30, provided one brings a photo ID so that one can receive a visitor's badge.  As a retiree from an international organization (IO), I have a "retiree" badge that allows me access to all the organizations.  As I also learned when taking the United Nations (UN) tour with Son B and the Double Cs this past summer, I receive a 10 per cent discount when purchasing items at the UN bookstore.  Believe me, as a retiree whose income has been substantially reduced, I've learned that every bit helps.

The self-service restaurant offers four entrées daily in addition to a salad bar.  They range from CHF 10.60 to CHF 16.00 and, for an expensive city like Geneva, are comparatively inexpensive as well as tasty.  Here is a sample menu (it changes daily) although the English translations can sometimes be hilarious.  The view from the restaurant is panoramic.  Depending where one sits, one either has a view of Geneva city, the Lake or, as can be seen here behind our trays, the UN Palais des Nations.


Here are more shots of the UN grounds from a perspective I had never seen before.



It was a great place to view the cloud build-ups that used to fascinate my pilot nephew when he visited us back in the 90s.  We could also see Geneva's famous jet d'eau and the Salève, although the obstacles and window openings presented a photographic challenge to yours truly.
Before leaving, I captured a quick photo of HWMBO on the outdoor terrace in the forefront of the restaurant.

This is definitely a place where I'll be bringing future visitors - if for nothing but the view!

No comments:

Post a Comment