22 December 2010

Chronology and marking the passage of years

Good news!  I have a rescheduled time and date for the surgery next week.  The rescheduling also necessitated changing the surgery location.  But this location is actually somewhat closer, so all is well, at least so long as the blister heals and the antibiotics do what they're suppposed to do.  I'm keeping my fingers very crossed.

In the interests of encouraging healing, I have more of an excuse than ever to begin reading the nine books that I borrowed from the library yesterday, together with the birthday book gift that I received from Sweet Momma D, mother to Grandsons Prince D and Prince J.  Let's hear it for cocooning!
***
As it happens, I did celebrate a birthday last week.  Or rather HWMBO helped me celebrate the date by taking me to Tersiguel's, a French restaurant in nearby Ellicott City.  As always, we had a lovely meal there.  I even received a small birthday mousse au chocolat for dessert, courtesy of the chef.  I had to share it with HWMBO because both of us were already quite pleasantly sated.  It's amazing how one is almost always able to find a bit more "room" inside when presented with such a motivation.

But celebrating the date aside, I could do without the heap of years behind me which grows ever higher with each anniversary.  I appreciated all the special calls, cards, Facebook wishes and gifts that I received and it was especially nice to catch up with some I do not hear from often.

But one card, received from Artist Sis, really tickled my fancy.  The face of the card shows an aged woman - clearly even more aged than I by about 25 years - who is smiling as she holds her hat and stands in the grass in her red sneakers.  "The secret to staying young?" she muses, "Lie about your age."  Upon opening the card, one finds the same woman in the same pose, but now finishing her thought.  "If I've learned anything in my 29 years, it's that."

Well girl, you go!  But neither of us can get away with "29" any more and we'd lose all credibility by trying.  I, for one, wouldn't mind just holding at 66.  Once anyone of my era is eligible both for Medicare and full Social Security benefits, there isn't a compelling reason to grow any older.

No comments:

Post a Comment