12 December 2010

What a difference a week can make!

Here is one view from my apartment on Wednesday, 1 December.


Here is a view from the same location on Tuesday, 7 December.


It's difficult to believe.  How swiftly the world can change!  On 1 December, I used my downstairs neighbor's trampoline as a gauge to estimate the snowfall.


My neighbor across the street was clearly snowed-in a week ago.


But on Tuesday, it was as if the world had changed entirely.


During the snowfall, our contracted snow removers were completely out of their depth -


they were not used to snowfalls like this, especially this "early" in the season.


News reports stated that it was a record snowfall the likes of which had not been seen since 1985.  But one week later, we had typical November weather again.  We could even see the lake ... and the Alps ... again.


When I was growing up in Montana, we used to have an expression, "If you don't like the weather, just stick around for awhile.  It'll change."  And it always did.  I see that the expression applies to Switzerland as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment