05 December 2012

2012 Montreux Christmas Market, Part 1

When one spots a Ferris wheel where one usually does not exist, it's a good clue that there are events happening nearby.
And yes, while this particular wheel would not "rev" up until later in the day, it was an excellent landmark to show where the bulk of Montreux's Christmas Market activity was being held.
But the market stalls, at least those closest to the street, were not focused just on Christmas, or even on seasonal food.  I got a kick out of this one - proudly sporting both Indian and Swiss flags, while advertising Indian food, underlining the fact that Montreux, as part of la Suisse romande, is an international city in every way.
As I made my way toward the lake, some stalls looked every bit as they would on any normal market day.
Aha, I'm getting closer.
Or am I?  A Christmas yurt?  Definitely a "first" for me.  But it looks warm and cozy inside.
A stall selling carved wooden plaques intrigued me for a while.
And traditional Christmas displays began popping up closer to Lake Geneva.
Carved wooden bears are a popular feature any time of the year,
and more cuddly versions abounded, although the bears were flanked by reindeer and mice as well.
Some visitors were as interested in photographing the wares as I was - we must have frustrated the stallholders.
Here's a gingerbread house, where jewelry - rather than edibles - is on display.
But what is literally breathtaking is to arrive at the lakefront
and see this panorama.

No comments:

Post a Comment