02 December 2012

Vieille Ville in Montreux

Montreux's vieille ville is tiny in comparison to Geneva's, but it is truly a world away from the hustle, bustle and glitz along the lakefront. It also has some well-maintained and well-preserved buildings and was worth a walk, especially because the route occasionally provided some lovely, if slightly dizzying, vistas.
Before actually entering the Old City, however, I passed by the fairly impressive facade of a school.
Further along the same street, there was a WWI war memorial, to honor those from Montreux who had fallen in the 1914-1918 conflict.  While Switzerland itself was not invaded, apparently there were some from Montreux - perhaps dual nationals - who volunteered to fight.
But when the road became narrower and hillier, I knew that I was on my way to the Old City.
The road also had very neatly arranged cobblestones.
I could catch occasional breathtaking, albeit hazy, views of the Alps as I continued wandering uphill.
Aha! A balcony decorated for the holidays!
As well as some colorful doorsteps.
Here are some Swiss lions, carved in stone, guarding a doorway,
across the street from a charming wine cellar.
Coming down again, I was treated to yet another spectacular view.
I know that HWMBO will appreciate this shot of roofs and chimneys!
Before entering the lower city, I couldn't resist taking a photo of this house because I liked the design.
But now, it was time to head for the Christmas Market! 

No comments:

Post a Comment