14 February 2010

Red and white thoughts for Valentine's Day

On this Valentine's Day, there is overwhelming coverage in the Swiss press of Swiss ski jumper Simon Ammann (Simi)'s significant accomplishment in winning the first gold medal of the Winter Olympic games currently being held in Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada.  Ammann is the first man in Olympic history to win two gold medals in the Individual Normal Hill event.

Overcome with joyous exuberance and enthusiasm, Amman spontaneously lifted Swiss Confederation President Doris Leuthard, who had come to congratulate him, into the air before enveloping her in a bear hug.  Leuthard, nearly as overcome as he, did not seem to mind at all.


Seeing Ammann's victory yesterday reminded me of the first time that I saw him jump -- during the 2002 Olympic Games held in Salt Lake City, Utah in the United States.   There, at the ripe old age of 20, he won two Olympic gold medals in ski jump events.  His then bespectacled look also earned him the nicknames of "Harry Potter" and "The Wizard."  Since his 2002 triumphs, his career has had both highs and lows.  But he now seems to be at a high point again.  May he fully enjoy that high point!   

But I am especially reminded of the circumstances in which I watched the 2002 Olympics.  I had returned home to my birth state of Montana in the US, to visit all too briefly with my mother knowing that her time on earth was very limited, given her diagnosis of late-stage multiple myeloma.  As it happened, that visit was the last time that I would see her alive.

My mother, who fully enjoyed life, was perfectly confident that she could beat the intrusive and unwelcome interloper.  So her mood at the time was good.  An avid sports fan for as long as I can remember, she rooted enthusiastically for "her" teams and "her" athletic heroes.  One of her first "heroes" that I can remember was the great Willie Mays, the "Say Hey Kid" of the then-New York Giants.  The Giants were never quite the same after they left New York City and moved to San Francisco, IMO.

In any event, the 2002 Olympic games were something that we absolutely had to watch.  Of course, we both were rooting for the US athletes.  But since I was a Swiss resident, I also cheered on the Swiss team members.   She, always a champion of her daughters' enthusiasms, however exotic or quixotic, cheered right along with me.    So both of us were very excited when Simi won his gold medals then.  Those last shared moments of joy are among the many good memories that I have and hold still.

So, this Valentine's Day, while I think of all those whom I love who are here now, I will also remember both Mom and Dad, neither of whom is still with us here, but whose love for my siblings and me, and all of our children was never in doubt.   If only all in the world could be as blessed!


Happy Valentine's Day, all!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this one. Thanks for sharing the watching of the olymmpics with you mom. You had never mentioned it. And soon, hopefully, the post will come through with my Valentine to you.

    ReplyDelete