27 June 2010

Catching breath and catching up

It's been a busy, if tumultuous, June so far.  Now it is nearly over.  My little laptop, where most of my photos have been downloaded, was so much in demand among my visitors that I barely had the time - or strength - to post anything on the blog, so it has gone woefully unattended.  My gallant PC, now clearly in its senior years and with a desperate need to have some of the clutter in its memory either removed or zipped (that sounds a lot like ME), just couldn't take too much "action" without a crash becoming a distinct probability.  So my determination to try to post something each day on the blog has suffered a clear setback, for this June at least.

I have come to the sad conclusion that a retirement career as tour leader is probably not the most practical idea for this particular senior.  I enjoy immensely having visitors and hope to keep having them.  I also enjoy showing them at least some of the many, many things that I love about my adopted neighborhood.  But I simply need more time to recover from the showings than I did in my callow youth.  The adage about youth being "wasted" on the young may not be literally true.  But oh, how I wish that some of that youthful energy would come to the assistance of my decidedly non-youthful bod!

My visitors departed to various destinations last Monday and Tuesday.  Friend G left by train for Zurich on Monday, there to board her plane on Tuesday for her ultimate South Carolina destination.  Son B and the grandkids left Tuesday via TGV for Paris to spend a few days before boarding their plane homeward.  They are now back home in Maryland.  While in Paris, all three were excited about participating in a Segway tour - something that I am having difficulty imagining although it appears that such tours are quite popular and reviews from participants are excellent.  The report that I just received this morning from Son B informed me that the Segway tour was indeed a hit with the grandkids, that it was educational, interesting and "intuitive."  I'll have to think about that last a bit more.  What is "intuitive" for teen-agers may not be as intuitive for seniors.

In any event, I'm now officially B-A-A-C-K and will likely deluge this spot with recollections and photos of the past month, which has literally flown by.

No comments:

Post a Comment