16 May 2011

The Pause That Refreshed

Well, we're b-a-a-a-c-k!  Actually we arrived Thursday evening via train from Milan, Italy after having spent a wonderful 10 days in the Italian Lake District, specifically visiting Lakes Maggiore, Orta, Lugano and Como.

I travelled by TGV - having risen at the truly godawful hour of 3:15, and yes, I do mean am! - from Geneva to Stresa where I joined up with HWMBO and the rest of the group, numbering 20 in all.  I'll describe the trip in more detail once I finish sorting through the zillions of photos HWMBO and I took to find some that are representative of the many beautiful places that we saw.  If it is possible to overdose on beauty - and I personally do NOT believe that it is - we certainly came close.

After seemingly endless sunny days which made Alpine treks much more pleasant, we arrived home just in time to avoid a torrential downpour and it has rained in intermittent bursts since then.  Not that we are complaining.  Saturday's paper provided a satellite comparison of April 2010 rainfall with that of April 2011 and we fell far short of the norm this year.  So it is past time for May to get us somewhat caught up on the rainfall we've been missing.

And speaking of getting caught up ... because we were not on-line during any of our time in Italy, we've had a lot of electronic housecleaning to do.  We probably could have made a stab at our email through the limited hotel facilities.  But I specifically decided to leave my laptop at home and there was a long line to wait through to use the computers provided by our hotels when there were much more pleasant activities to choose from.  So, both HWMBO and I have had to spend quite a lot of time sorting through the hundreds of emails - mostly spam! - in our various email in-boxes since our return.  Whew!

It was a very pleasant trip and our travelling companions included several kindred spirits, meaning that many new friendships arose.   I look forward to revisiting the experiences and sharing here on SD.  We truly had a refreshing, enriching and worthwhile pause.  I would wish such a pause for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment