30 May 2011

Visiting Italy's Lake District: Part II - Morning in Stresa

Well, I had arrived in Stresa safe and sound and successfully located the hotel - Hotel Fiorentino - tucked into one of the streets leading off Stresa's Piazza Cadorna.

The Hotel Fiorentino is a cosy restaurant hotel, owned and operated by the Bolongaro family since 1958. 

Hostess Carla, whose husband and son are the chef and sous-chef respectively, and who takes pride in looking after her guests personally, greeted me at the door.  Taking pity on my halting Italian, she asked me (in English) whether I was one of "the American group."  When I responded that I was, she led me to the dark mahoghany reception desk, obviously an antique, and checked the register.  I told her who I was and that my husband would be arriving from Milan with the rest of the group.   Here is a photo of Carla with her granddaughter.

I had not expected to be able to check in at my early arrival hour.  Because my early morning train had left Geneva at 5:45 am, it was still not quite 9:00 am in Stresa.  I had intended merely to request whether I could leave my suitcase, backpack and various other encumbrances at the hotel, and perhaps wash up, etc., until it was time for check-in.  To my great relief, however, Carla announced that our room was ready and that I could check in right away.  So I did.  After I had seen my room, unpacked my suitcase for our four-night stay, rid myself of everything superfluous and washed up, I felt greatly refreshed and ready to explore.  The group was not scheduled to arrive before 11:00 am.  Because the hotel breakfast period had finished by then, I headed for the piazza to find a cafe that was still serving breakfast.

There I had my first Italian cappuccino of this visit to Italy, together with the Italian version of a croissant.  The croissant was dusted with sugar and had a jam filling, which I had not expected.  But it was delicious and the piazza was a pleasant place to sit.  The coffee and croissant really hit the spot because I had not eaten at all since rising.  Most of all, I liked the sentiment expressed in the froth!

Once I had gotten my bearings from a small map that I had picked up at the hotel, I headed towards the lake, Lago Maggiore, and the main pier in Stresa, which is also where the Tourist Office is located - right underneath the Italian flag.

Lake Maggiore is Italy's second largest lake; Lake Garda, which we did not visit on this trip, is larger in surface area.  But Lake Maggiore is the longest lake.  I spent some time strolling along the lakeside where there are several sculptures

and photographing Stresa from the lakeside.

Then I wandered back into town.  Although the day was hazy, the weather was very pleasant and it was interesting just to browse through the tiny winding back streets, chock full of interesting byways,

where I noticed several Pinocchio wooden doll souvenirs displayed in shop windows. 

Because it was getting time to meet up with HWMBO and make the acquaintance of our guides and the rest of the group, I then headed back to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment