17 May 2012

Colorful, but brrr ...

I actually took the photos in this post while riding my bike about a week ago. But I noticed this morning that the colza that shows up vividly in these photos has already turned green. So I guess that it's time for me to get cracking. Despite the clouds piled up ominously here, the narrow part of Lake Geneva where I live looks as placid as a backyard swimming pool.
The golden colza fields brightened what would otherwise have been a very gloomy morning. The color yellow, especially after gray days that seem to stretch on forever, always cheers me up. I'm sorry to see that these fields have already gone green, even though the green is also beautiful.
Last evening, some areas of Switzerland reported below-zero (Celsius) temperatures and there was snow as low as 600 meters. I noticed a dusting of snow on the slopes of the Jura this morning and patches are still there. This is as cold a May as I remember during my eighteen years here. But the vines haven't been daunted by the weather and have begun to open their leaves.
Looking ahead to the finished product, this morning I also noticed banners advertising the annual Caves Ouvertes (open wine cellars) scheduled to be held on 26-27 May.

Despite the cool - even cold - weather, Spring is marching inexorably towards Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment