29 May 2012

The Remains of the Day

Amply fortified with more wine samples - one of which I'll likely return to buy - I headed out from Fechy-Dessus towards Bougy-Villars, noticing that the slope above me was also lined with houses overlooking vineyards.
Here's one last view of the Fechys - Upper and Lower! What pretty villages they are!
But there were still lots of vineyards to see and sip at. This particular domain was not one of them, but it was still a pretty sight.
Aha - a vineyard that ticks all the picturesque buttons, with its open courtyard framed by ivy-covered walls!  And yes, this was my next stop!
The tasting was not held in the courtyard of this cave, which has been a family business passed from father to son since 1689 (!), but in a special tasting room on the ground floor of the house. The entrance is shown here.
I tried some of their "unique" pinot grigios and a magnificent assemblage blanc, characterized as a "vin innovatif." Their pinot noir was pretty good too. As with all the wineries I visited that day, the hospitality was exceptional. But this is certainly a winery that I will also return to and be proud to show off to visitors.

Unfortunately, however, time was passing and I had missed the shuttle at this stop
so I decided to continue on to Bougy-Villars, yet another pretty village.
Houses bedecked with vivid flowerpots
and ivy lined the way.
There are also guesthouses for those who would like to spend quality time among the vines.
Having had a very satisfactory day even though I had barely scratched the surface of the vineyards in the region, I headed back towards Allaman to catch my train home. Perhaps the wine had addled my brain enough that I had underestimated the distance I had come. Instead of waiting prudently for the next shuttle, I struck off on my own. Obviously, since I'm writing these posts, I returned home unscathed. But I was also exhausted.

I thought that the exhaustion was brought on by the wine I had drunk until I calculated how far I had walked: 18 kilometers (15 miles)! That may seem trifling to those who are not in their late 60s. But I had to admit that I impressed myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment