05 May 2012

Saturday Morning in May

The afternoon has begun to cloud over, typical of afternoons in recent days. But this morning, like the last two, the weather was actually quite beautiful. So, after a quick excursion on my bicycle, I showered and walked into the bourg to run some errands. The first Saturday in May is Kentucky Derby Day in the US. As usual, this reminds me of Friends A and J in Bluegrass Country whom we visited a couple years back. I will likely only be able to see the race itself on-line, less the media hoopla, late tonight.

After stopping by the post office, I walked over to the boat landing area. The municipality has installed a spanking new snackbar (buvette), which is a great improvement over the former weathered wooden structure that has been there for years. I was tempted to join those who were enjoying the sun and the view.
Looking back towards Geneva City, I was sorry to see that the familiar plume of the jet d'eau was not visible. The fountain may have been turned off because we have lately had freakish gusts of wind that erupt suddenly from nowhere.
The lake itself looked placid at the time, with tiny waves lapping against the boat landing, although ominous-looking clouds were scudding towards the Alps.
One of my favorite Spring sights is blooming wisteria. Even though wisteria doesn't quite have the fragrance of lilacs, I love its blossoms.
But my major destination in town was the local museum, which had its 2012 grand opening this morning. Invitations had been placed in our mailboxes earlier this week, announcing that everyone was welcome to meet there for breakfast this morning. This invitation was reinforced by a sign outside the museum.
I made my way in and up the narrow staircase to find the little space crowded with people. After being given a bookmark marked with the museum's schedule, coffee and a tartine (small piece of fresh bread) slathered liberally with butter and homemade jam of my choice (I chose rasperry - framboise), I was invited to explore the museum at my leisure, which I did.

The museum is contained in a 16th-century house that was a legacy to the municipality in the 1950s from a local family and is thus named after them. Its three-story expanse contains well-presented displays of furniture, porcelain, family possessions. There is also an impressive collection of antique firearms, also a legacy, but from a citizen of a nearby village.  A temporary display presents inkwells of all kinds, together with nibs from pens used in pre-fountain or ballpoint pen days. But one of the most fascinating exhibitions dealt with monochords - which I had never heard of before. These were musical instruments, technically with only one string (cord) that were among the strangest instruments I have ever seen. Those on display looked as if they were hybrids between a small piano keyboard and a cello. I wish that I had taken a photo but I was so entranced with them that I forgot. This is the closest that I have been able to find, but it still doesn't do them justice.
All in all, it was a very pleasant morning and I met some new friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment