28 May 2012

More Wine Tasting

On my way up the slope to Fechy-Dessus, I passed by this winery, but did not stop in. After all, it was early steps yet in my hike. Even though one is not expected to - and doesn't usually - drink all the wine one is given (there are little containers provided like the one shown here into which one can spit the remainder or simply empty the contents of one's glass), it's never a good idea to overindulge. Alcohol is dehydrating, after all, and the day was getting hotter.
I also noted this little house with a quaint - and distinctive - window placement.
Looking back towards Fechy, with Lake Geneva in the background, one can see that while the slope is gentle, it is indeed an incline. The Alps are mostly hazy, as is common in mid-Spring.
The vines are still in early growing stages and look spindly and sparse compared to the way they will look in a few more weeks. Most did not even put out leaves until the beginning of May. Here is the center of Fechy-Dessus, which is a beautiful little village. There is even a shuttle stop to the left, just in case I had changed my mind about hiking!
Here is also where I decided to experience my second tasting of the day. One can taste as many wines as one wishes at each stop, so full disclosure requires that it wouldn't just be my second wine!
This beautiful location had the most splendid viewing terrace, with a panoramic view of the region. Best of all, I was their first visitor of the day, so they had plenty of time to chat.
Remember the winery I passed on the way up the slope. Here's another view from the terrace.
As you can see from the photo above, just below the viewing terrace, this enterprising family also had a terraced vegetable garden, still in early growing stages. Here's another view.
Saying adieu to Fechy-Dessus,
I began hiking towards Bougy-Villars, generally in the direction towards Geneva.
What a magnificent vista!

No comments:

Post a Comment