19 March 2011

Back in the "Saddle" Again

Thursday morning, Friend J and I went grocery shopping together - her husband is currently on a work trip to the Far East - so I missed my early morning bike ride.  Upon returning from shopping and thinking that I might still take a quick jaunt, I was dismayed to discover that my bicycle seat (selle in French, which also means "saddle") was finally showing the wear and tear of the past 20 years.  Of course, my having taken a couple tumbles in the past couple weeks - more embarrassing and undignified than harmful - hadn't helped.


The damage was irreparable.  Unless I was willing to endure sharp nails in a very sensitive part of my anatomy as well as tear my bicycle shorts to shreds, it meant that I couldn't ride my bicycle at all until I had a new bicycle seat.

So I set off for my neighboring Jumbo DIY store, because in addition to all sorts of DIY items, it stocks bicycles and cycling gear at reasonable prices - reasonable for Switzerland, that is.  The prices would most likely seem hair-raising elsewhere.


Sure enough, I was able to find a new bicycle seat.  In the 20 years since I've last been in the market for one, I didn't realize what changes had occurred.  There are now specialized seats for women, as well as men, children and adolescents - racing seats, mountain bike seats, seats with gel padding (always nice to have extra, IMO), etc.  The choices were enough to make my head spin.  But I finally settled on a reasonably-priced women's 20 per cent gel seat that will serve for my everyday riding needs.  Arriving home with my new seat, however, I realized that I had absolutely no idea how to remove the old one and attach the new one.

I described my dilemma to HWMBO later on during one of our Skype conversations.  Usually, in such a situation, I would merely ask him to do it for me.  But since he is 3,000+ miles away right now, I needed to go to Plan B.  As always, he provided me with a suggestion by googling "how to change a bike seat" - with this result.   Unfortunately, this description was sparse, to say the least.  It was also not helpful because it instructed me to look for a nut and a bolt and to use a wrench.  Try as I might, I could find no evidence of a nut or bolt or anything for which a wrench would be appropriate.  On the same website, however, I found a much more helpful set of instructions, complete with video, under "How to Install a Bicycle Seat."

But now, the problem was that I needed a special tool.  I sifted through the many tools in HWMBO's trusty tool bucket.  The most promising were some of the special "keys" (Friend J calls them "Allen keys") that I have in various sizes courtesy of my many IKEA purchases.  As things turned out, however, none of the sizes that I had worked.  This meant another trip to Jumbo.


Once at Jumbo, I asked for help - reasonably it seemed to me - from the young man in charge of bicycles.   He determined that I was not worthy of his attention once he ascertained that a) I didn't want to purchase a new bicycle or b) I was not interested in having my bicycle repaired at a cost of CHF 70 per hour.  And yes, you read that figure correctly!  He merely waved me back to the tool department, saying something about a "machin 6" (roughly "thing-a-ma-jig 6") that should solve my problem.  So I hied myself to the tool department where I was quite simply and thoroughly lost before a seemingly endless wall of tools.  Fortunately, there was a gentleman there who looked very much as if he knew what was what.  So I explained my predicament to him.  He kindly pondered the situation, then chose a tool that I never would have selected in a million years.  He even walked back to the bicycle department to show me how to use it.


I have no idea what the "machin's" real name is.  Even the description on its tag (clef = key) hasn't enlightened me.  But it was quite reasonably-priced.  Best of all, it did the trick perfectly.  I had a very comfortable ride yesterday.  And I look forward to many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment