18 March 2011

Irish Genes

St. Patrick's Day yesterday presented an opportunity to reflect on my family's Irish roots.  The oldest generation that I can remember was represented by my father's father, who was 100 per cent Irish.  The family of my paternal grandmother, however, was primarily descended from English roots, so my late father's Irish heritage was already substantially diluted.

That never presented a problem for him, however.  His surname was quintessentially Irish.  Even his first name, although not a common one, marked him indelibly as Irish.  For those who knew him, my father was the epitome of "Irish."


We who were his children also bore his surname.  We were always singled out as being of Irish heritage as a result.  This was a source of pride for us.  Indeed, two of my - much younger - sisters retained their maiden name after their marriages.  It was probably just as well because neither marriage lasted too long.  Even so, I wish that I had done so too. 


Retaining one's maiden name was not done as much among women when I married my first husband. For much of my early professional life, I was known by my first married surname and I kept that name even after the divorce. When I remarried, it would have seemed churlish not to change surnames, when I had already done so once. I have retained my maiden name officially on my passport, MD driver's license and many other official documents, in addition to the married surname I have borne for nearly 30 years. But it is almost as if I have been several different persons. Each life has certainly been different.

Because our mother's heritage did not include Irish ancestors - that we know of - the actual quantity of Irish heritage for each of us siblings is a mere quarter.  For my sons, it has been diluted to barely one-eighth because their father has no Irish ancestors whatsoever. 


My granddaughter Princess Butterfly likely received a small influx of Celtic genes from her maternal grandfather's family that may have strengthened her Irish heritage.  But my grandsons, Princes Tyger and Attani, have a mere one-sixteenth of the original Irish.  That has certainly not kept any grandchildren from celebrating their Irish heritage for St. Pat's, as did Prince Tyger two years ago.


But the latest standard bearer for our little Irish "dynasty" is the youngest member, my grand niece Princess Jelly Bean, sporting her St. Patrick's Day regalia yesterday.


And no matter how small the actual amount of genes, the Irish twinkle lives on in this youngest generation!      

No comments:

Post a Comment