23 March 2011

Biking Woes 2

This photo was taken last weekend at one of the little benches out in the countryside that provide convenient resting and viewing spots for those of us who are walking or cycling through the area.  I am still hoping that I'll be able to be out and about with my trusty little cycle in the same area this coming weekend.


The Tale of the Tire continues.  It's not been a complete disaster so far.  With the assistance of the many DIY videos and instructions that the Internet provides, I was able to a) disconnect the brake cable; b) shift to the lowest gear and pull back the derailleur so that the chain was no longer attached to the gears; c) use the shift release and loosen the screws holding the wheel to the bike frame;, d) remove the wheel from the bike frame; e) loosen the tire from the rim of the frame; f) remove the inner tube from the tire and find the offending puncture; g) remove the tire from the rim; and h) thoroughly check the inside and outside of the tire itself to ensure that whatever caused the puncture was not still there.  In short, I was on a roll.  Of course, this particular "roll" had lasted about an hour.

Then I hit the first snag.  I put one side of the tire on the rim and, per instructions, tried to inflate the new inner tube partially, prior to inserting it into the tire.  My problem: the pump wouldn't work at all on the valve which was apparently a "Presto" valve.  The valve itself fit through the valve hole.  But without being able to inflate the inner tube, I would have major problems.  So I repackaged the new inner tube, pocketed my receipt, took the old inner tube (la chambre à air) with me - which is probably what I should have done in the first place - and returned to Jumbo, where I am practically becoming a fixture.  The young man in charge of the bicycle department has warmed up considerably since our first encounter.  Seeing such a persistent customer apparently raises hopes that someday the persistent customer may opt for an expensive bicycle.

I hate to burst his bubble, but that will happen only when this persistent customer wins the Lottery.  Ah well!

In the meantime, he examined my inner tube.  It was fortunate that my valve hadn't worked because the first inner tube that I had purchased was also a size too small.  So, he selected the right size with an "automatic" valve and I was able to exchange it for my former purchase.  I then returned home.  In accordance with the DIY instructions, I partially inflated the inner tube and gently pushed it into the tire.  The next step was to insert the outer edge of the tire under the rim.  It went well until there were about six inches left to push.

There was no way that I could push that final section under the rim.  I concluded that I must have inflated the inner tube too much.  After trying without success to get the extra air out, I left the cap off and resigned myself to going without a bike ride today.  By this time, almost two hours had passed since I had begun my efforts.  I checked on the tire again this afternoon and it was still impossible for me to get the final bit under the rim. 

I'll try again tomorrow.  I'm SO close to finishing this.  It's quite humbling to realize that bike racers can change their flat tires in a matter of minutes.  That CHF 70 per hour for bike repairs does not seem quite as outrageous right now as it first did.

Of course, right now, I also have a new problem - again a minor one in the grand scheme of things.  Now I can't get my automatic garage door to close.  I am not able to close it manually either for some reason.  Nuisances as my "problems" are, I am sure that those in Japan right now would love to trade theirs for mine.  What gracious courage they have shown!

1 comment:

  1. Come on, let the air out of the tire by depressing the little pin. Then push the tube in the tire and get on with it. I can't stand the suspense.

    ReplyDelete