06 March 2011

Relearning the Network

It's been a long time since I've been a regular customer on the truly excellent public transit systems there are in Switzerland.  I used the system in Geneva quite a lot during our first year here.  Since that time, however, we moved outside Geneva City.  It has become too convenient to hop into my vehicle to run errands.  For some errands, that convenience will not change.  But, now that my life is no longer delineated by the routines, schedules and deadlines of the workplace, I am determined to relearn and use the system.  Even if for no reason other than that I must be able to explain it to others.

After all, my young niece and a friend - both university students - will be staying with me this summer while they attend French courses at the University of Geneva.  In order for them to get the full benefit of their summer abroad, as well as to gain self-confidence and earn themselves some autonomy, they should use the public transit system.  I'll help to get them oriented, of course, and we can make a couple "dry runs" (HWMBO's tried and true techniques) before they begin to take classes.  But the experience will ultimately be most meaningful for them when they can use the system themselves without having an older person constantly watching over their shoulders, however well-intentioned that person may be.

So today, on the occasion of a visit to a friend and former colleague while she was recuperating at a local clinic, I took the train from my little village into Geneva's main train station, Cornavin.   Here's the little local gare:


I was delighted to discover that I was not the only train neophyte today.  Several others who have gotten more dependent on their vehicles over the years were also taking the train to visit the Motor Show.  We all had exactly the same questions but we had only ourselves to learn from.  It was somewhat like the blind leading the blind.  But ultimately all of us did manage to buy tickets and board the train.  Our train is just coming into view around the bend.  There is another train already stopped at the station, and it's also a train to Geneva.  But the train I took was the Express: nine minutes versus 29!


And, as predicted, nine minutes later, we disembarked at Cornavin.


Here is Cornavin's main entrance.


There are - almost - as many bicycles here as I remember seeing in Amsterdam.



From Cornavin, I went in search of the tram that would get me to my destination.

 
The system worked marvelously! I avoided the troublesome traffic attendant on the Motor Show.  I also avoided parking fees.  I enjoyed the ride, got to my visit in good time, and even returned home in a relaxed state.


I look forward to the next experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment