18 April 2011

Anticipating Easter

It is a wonderful time to be here right now.  The weather is dreamily beautiful and, because so many of my neighbors and friends have taken advantage of the school holidays to travel somewhere else, I literally find myself alone.  Even my good Friend J, although in the Geneva area for now, has one set of family visitors for this week.  They will leave on Friday and on Saturday, she will welcome yet another set who will celebrate the Easter holidays with her and her husband and son.  She just called to tell me that she will also be travelling to the Chicago area on 30 April to attend a week-long sales conference.  So, she will barely have time to catch her breath before then.  As for me, I'm really beginning to enjoy this retirement status, even though I wish that it paid better!

In this last week before Easter, flowers are popping up everywhere, with their heart-lifting colors.
Traditionally in this region - and others - of Switzerland, local fountains are decorated with Easter mementos.  Here is the tiny fountain by the boat landing parking area
and here is the main fountain in front of the chocolaterie - a very good reminder, as if any needed reminding of chocolate goodies right now.
Most around here choose one of two vacation destinations.  Either they travel into the mountains, and we have plenty around here to choose from.  Or they head south towards the Mediterranean.  Frankly, I am just as happy to stay here.  I am the beneficiary of beauty both from the mountains nearby and the lovely lake that is literally at my doorstep - OK, so it's about 100 yards away.  Plus I need not worry about "red" driving days, congested routes, crowded tourist sites, frustrated drivers, the steadily upward creep of the price of gas, or sticking to a schedule.  And, interestingly enough, the prediction for our local temperatures mirrors that of London.  If these predictions hold, we will be warmer here than if we were in Majorca, at least according to one report

No comments:

Post a Comment