17 April 2011

Founex in the Spring

I hate to admit it, but I had a second flat tire episode a couple days ago.  Thanks to the Wiki "How-tos" and my previous learning experience, which took a lot longer, I was able to change this one quite expeditiously.  It took a while to find the puncture, which I would categorise more as a slow leak this time.  I had noticed over the past couple days that I needed to inflate the tire practically on a daily basis.  Sure enough, while I was in the center of Founex on Thursday, my ride began to feel bumpy enough for me to check on the tire.  You can imagine my reaction, but at least this time, I didn't have as far to walk to get back home.

Of course, HWMBO's reaction was to ask why I wasn't carrying patches and a small air pump with me.  That was reasonable enough and I know that I probably should.  But, on the other hand, I am not hurrying to get anywhere and I haven't been so far afield with any of my excursions to date that I can't walk back comfortably.  Now that the ankle seems to be healed for the most part, I even enjoy the walks.  Especially when the weather is as nice as it has been recently.

This morning, I took my first ride since repairing the second flat.  Although I didn't ride as long or as far as I prefer to on Sundays, when the roads are usually much quieter than any other day, the excursion was still very enjoyable.  Everything worked out very well except that my chain got caught between my rear wheel and the highest gear sprocket.  That is usually fairly simple to fix, even if it does result in some very greasy hands.  But today, the chain was wedged in to the extent that it was a two-person job.  Fortunately, one of the neighbors whom I often meet walking his adorable little dog, rolled over - he is in a wheelchair - to help me.  He helped to pull the chain loose while I manipulated the lever on the derailleur and rotated the wheel.  Even after using our handi-wipes, both sets of hands were quite grimy afterwards.  But my neighbor just laughed and said that he doesn't worry about it.  After all, he has to use his hands to roll the wheels of his wheelchair.  I am impressed by the daily circuit he makes, especially since there are several gradual, but distinctly uphill, grades.

On my ride, I noticed that the vineyards have clearly begun to stir, particularly in the area around the nearby willage of Founex.
Even though the sky was clear, the Alps were practically invisible in the haze beyond the lake.
Founex itself appeared to be slumbering on this Palm Sunday (dimanche des Rameaux).   Of course, it is a school vacation period right now.
Even the establishment of the vintner who cultivates "my" little vineyard looked quiet.

Surprisingly on a Sunday, the maison de commune looked to be open, or at least its blue and white shutters were.  Blue and white shutters are characteristic of maisons de commune in Founex and my own village, which are closely related in many ways.  Perhaps someone here was working overtime.
The sleepy character of the center of this village belies the evidence of the building boom nearby, although if one looks closely, one can discern a tall crane just beyond the roof of this building.
But I still have yet to meet one of Founex's most illustrious, albeit more recent, inhabitants on any of my visits to the area.  Since last fall, former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan has lived in Founex, having moved there from his former residence in Geneva.  So I still have such a meeting to look forward to, although I doubt that Kofi Annan travels by bicycle on a regular basis.

1 comment: