14 April 2011

Spring Blossoms

Several of the plants on my balcony began blossoming somewhat early this year, but so far they generally have not attained the lushness of the blooms from last year.  Perhaps I need to give them some different plant food!

It's been interesting because for the most part, this year has been warmer than last.  So one might logically believe that this year's blossoms would be more plentiful.  That has not been the case.  For example, the forsythia that is always the first to greet me with its cheerful yellow blossoms this year was a mere shadow of what last year's was.

And it also began to drop its blossoms for greenery much earlier than last year.  Another example is my flowering rosemary plant.  Last year, it had lavender blossoms that were literally profligate.


This year, the same plant has barely begun to blossom.  It's hardly worth taking a photo.  It isn't only my plants that seem to be affected.  This morning, I noticed that the neighbor's azaleas - that looked like this by this period in 2010 -

have barely begun to bloom.

It's interesting to reflect on past years.  We cannot reclaim them; we can only remember - the good, the bad, the bittersweet.  Photos help remind us because our memory too often plays tricks.  Still, we must live in the present.  It is the "Now" that we are experiencing and that we need to appreciate.  It too quickly becomes the past.

So regardless of whether my spring blossoms this year are as lush as those of last year, I will live in and enjoy This Present.   After all, my Present is an exceptionally lovely one.

No comments:

Post a Comment