10 July 2010

Glimpses of the visitors' last couple days

The Monday after our time-travel visit to Gruyères was a time of last-minute flurries.  While Friend G prepared to depart in the afternoon for Zurich, from where she would return to South Carolina, Son B and the Double Cs opted to travel by train into Geneva.  Once arrived at Cornavin, they planned to take advantage of Geneva's free-bike program, Genèveroule.

One thing they noticed, however, is that beekeeping co-exists right next to my village's train station.  The trains don't seem to bother the bees at all.
The train station is also a convenient place to leave one's bicycle, chained to the rails, of course.
Son B and the Double Cs climbed into this second class car.  If passengers wish, they can take their bicycles on the train with them.
They enjoyed their day in Geneva, returning the bicycles within the four-hour grace period so that their rides for the day were indeed free.  And Friend G's departure also went without a hitch. 

One thing that had fascinated the Double Cs was my upscale household trash collection system.  Here, Prince C demonstrates how it works.
So, Tuesday morning, as I was returning from the village to get the last fresh pains au chocolat for my guests, I was delighted to see the trash pick-up truck emptying the "dumpsters," and called to everyone to come and see.  Unfortunately, it took me a couple of moments to grab my own camera, so I didn't get a shot of the "dumpster" in the air.  Too bad, but this is what it looked like just afterward.
Here the "arm" was going back down in preparation for departure.
But we did get a quick glimpse of one of the machines used to work "my" vineyards.
Unfortunately, either the cloud cover was too thick or the mountains were so covered with haze during the whole time that my visitors were there that they never did get to see my view of Mont Blanc.  The day after they left, visibility was slightly better.  But there was still only a hint that Mont Blanc might actually be there.
Still, this photo will remind me of the moment - and the view - for the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment