05 August 2010

Princess Butterfly learns about horses

Like most children, Princess Butterfly loves to hear stories.  She loves to have someone read to her.  But she especially loves stories that are told to her.  So, in response to seemingly endless "Tell me a story, Grama!" requests during my all-too-brief visit, I resorted at times to stories of my own childhood and adolescence - often, but not always, with some poetic license.  A couple of my stories dealt with my horse, Lucky, who ironically became part of my life just as I was about to undergo another major lifestyle change, i.e., move to the Big City for high school.

Princess Butterfly was enchanted by my "Lucky" stories.  Unfortunately, she had gone with her Papa, Big S, some weeks back to visit a small ranch where horses are rented out for trail rides.  She had literally been terrified by their size - enormous to a three-year-old.  According to her Papa, she wanted only to leave.  But, after hearing my stories about adventures with Lucky, she decided that she would give the horse kingdom another chance.  So, off she and I went, with her Papa, to visit the ranch once again.  Here she assesses a young pinto, somewhat like my own Lucky, from her safe perch in Papa's arms.
Here they look over a lovely bay horse.
Princess Butterfly tentatively reaches out to touch his head,
and then to stroke him.
Then she listens carefully
while her papa explains what mules are.
Because it was feeding time,
one of the wranglers gave Princess Butterfly some hay to feed to the horses herself and this attracted immediate attention.  Being approached by several horses at once was a bit frightening to the Princess at first,
but not for too long.
Then she listened carefully while her Papa explained about harnesses.
The Princess did not ride that day - it was much too hot - but she is ready to return.  Best of all, she is not afraid of horses any more and is very proud of confronting her fears.
In fact, she decided that one of the horses - we weren't quite sure which - was "hers" and named him Marble.

No comments:

Post a Comment